I. The Curse of the Bell Curve (钟型分布的诅咒)
There’s a concept in statistics called the bell curve. It means most samples cluster in the middle, with a few trailing off at either end. Human achievement follows this shape.
统计学上有一个分布类型,叫钟型分布。就是大多数样本处在中间,少数掉尾巴,少数排前头。人类的整体成就概况就是符合这个钟型结构。
So what does it mean that most people live a mediocre life and achieve nothing big?
大多数人庸庸碌碌一生,一事无成的本质是什么?
It means they’re under the curse of the bell curve.
本质就是这个钟型结构的诅咒。
1. The Starting Position
First, when you’re born, chances are high you land in the middle—because the middle is the biggest zone. People in this range aren’t born rich, brilliant, or stunning.
首先,投胎降生的时候,人大概率就会落在中间位置,因这个区域极大。这个区域的特征就是,没有含着金钥匙、极高的天赋、美若潘安。
2. The Illusion of Movement
Second, this structure is fluid. Even if you work hard, others do too. Part of that movement is collective: everyone levels up, so your relative position doesn’t change.
其次是,这个结构是流动的,即便你努力,别人也会努力的。这种流动性,一部分是整体移动,中间个体的相对位置没变。
Say everyone goes from broke to ten thousand, then to a hundred thousand. Then you’re still average. What you worked hard to achieve, others did too. If you can do it, so can others—which means you’re still “nothing special.” Because what we call success is usually a comparison.
具体说大家都从一穷二白变成万元户,再变成十万元,百万元户,那么你仍旧是平平无奇。你努力做到的事情,大家也在努力做,你能做到,别人也可以,因此就显得还是“一事无成”,因为我们所说的有成,往往是比较概念。
3. The Factors Beyond Effort
Then there’s localized movement: You only stand out if you do something most people can’t. That’s how you break into the top.
另一部分的流动性,是局部的,只有当你做到,大多数都做不到的事,你才开始崭露头角,才有机会跻身到前排,备受瞩目。
But this kind of leap isn’t just about effort. It needs talent, luck, connections, timing—and other things you can’t fully control.
但局部的流动性,很多人都在想。不仅仅是你个人努力就可以,这里面还需要先天条件、运气、身边资源、外部趋势,等等各种并非你所能很好控制的要素。
II. Escaping the Elite Perspective (摆脱精英视角)
Now let’s take a step back. This model reflects an elite way of seeing. Everyone wants the spotlight, to be rich, powerful, admired, remembered. Everyone watches the stage, hoping to stand in the light. But the ones who make it are few. Most people are the audience.
现在,我们退一步看看这种钟型结构的视角。整体上看,这是一种精英视角,人人都想万众瞩目,富甲一方,出人头地,光宗耀祖,名留青史。人人都盯着舞台,想登上去,站在聚光灯下一展风采,但能做到的人,往往都是少数,大多数人都是围观的群众,作台下的观众。
So—what other perspectives can we try?
因此,除了这个视角,我们还可以有什么视角呢?
We can focus on living well, from a normal human point of view. Drop the elite lens imposed by school and society.
就是过好自己的生活,回归个人平民视角,摆脱教育和社会环境下普遍存在的精英视角。
We can quiet down, pay less attention to the outside world. Don’t worry whether you’ve “made it.”
可以静下心来,少点关注外面的世界,不用理会是不是一事无成,
The Personal Life Checklist
Focus on your life:
关注自己的生活,
- Find a job to support yourself. 找一份工作先养活自己,
- Take care of your body. Eat fewer takeout meals. 照顾好身体,少吃外卖,
- If fate allows, find a partner. 有机缘就与另一个人皆为伴侣,
- Build intimacy. Enjoy the beauty of it. 经营亲密关系,享受其中的美妙。
- If you have the ability, raise a family. 如果有能力,那去成立家庭。
Then you’ll realize: being able to support a family for decades is no small feat. You’ll stop looking down on ordinary parents.
不过这个时候,人会发现能靠自己能力,养活一个家庭几十年,就是一件了不起的事情,再也不会看不起庸庸碌碌的一些普通父母,普通的人。
Can’t afford a house? Don’t buy one. Don’t start a capital-heavy business. Wear pants that match your ass.
另外,买不起房就不要买,也不要重资产创业,多大屁股穿多大裤衩。
Avoid high-risk projects. Try ones with low failure cost.
少做一些试错成本高的项目,可以尝试试错成本低的项目。
The Path to Mastery
In your spare time, seek out good information. The kind that increases your perspective. Not short videos with zero gain—like butt shakes, cleavage, or cheap jokes. They earn clicks and money. You lose time and attention.
空闲时间里,广泛涉略多一些优质信息,涉略能带来信息增量的内容,而不是没有信息增量的短视频,例如一些扭屁股、抖奶、段子。他们收获焦点、商业价值,你失去时间、精力。
Watch them occasionally, fine. But try to explore what really interests you. Find it—
那些偶尔看看就好,应该尝试探索一些兴趣的事情,找出它们,
- Stick with it, do a little every day. → 坚持做,每天做一点,日拱一卒不求多;
- Practice enough, and you’ll learn the field. → 经过多实践,可能会慢慢熟悉该领域的各个方面的事情;
- Keep going, and you may master it. → 持续下去,可能会精通某个领域;
- And that mastery might turn into passion and achievement. → 精通了可能会带来热爱,成就。
Maybe, just maybe, while living your life well, you’ll become known after all.
也许也许,我们在过好自己一生的同时,会名声在外吧。